Are you in love with somebody from one other country? Planning to tie the knot and begin a life together? That’s wonderful! But as with all marriage, there are a quantity of extra steps to take if your partner is a non-U.S. citizen. Don’t fear, although – in this article, we’ll stroll you thru the method, step by step, in simple language that anybody can perceive.

Getting Started: Understanding the Basics

Before we delve into the nitty-gritty details, let’s begin with the basics. Marrying a non-U.S. citizen involves a couple of further steps to guarantee that your spouse can legally reside in the United States. These steps embody applying for a marriage-based green card, also called a permanent residency card. Once your spouse obtains this card, they’ll have the authorized proper to live and work within the U.S.

It’s price noting that the method can vary barely relying on whether or not your spouse is already in the us or nonetheless dwelling abroad. However, for the needs of this text, we’ll give attention to the general process that applies to most couples.

Step 1: Get Married

The first step in marrying a non-U.S. citizen is, in fact, getting married! Before you’ll find a way to begin the immigration process, you have to have a legally recognized marriage. This means going through the necessary steps based on the laws of the nation or state where the wedding will take place.

Step 2: File an Immigrant Petition

Once you’re happily married, it’s time to begin the official immigration course of. The subsequent step is to file an immigrant petition, particularly the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. This type establishes the relationship between you (the U.S. citizen) and your spouse (the non-U.S. citizen) and proves that you have a genuine marriage.

To file the Form I-130, you will need to offer supporting documents such as your marriage certificates, proof of your U.S. citizenship, process for marrying non us citizen and any related proof of your relationship, like photos or joint bank account statements.

Step 3: Await Approval and Priority Date

After you have submitted the Form I-130, you may have to wait for it to be approved. The processing time can range, so be affected person. Once accredited, your spouse will be assigned a priority date. The priority date is crucial as a outcome of it determines when your partner can begin the ultimate step of the immigration process.

Step 4: File the Adjustment of Status Application or Consular Processing

Now that your spouse’s precedence date is current, it is time to choose on between two paths: adjustment of status or consular processing.

If your spouse is already in the us on a sound visa, you can select the adjustment of standing route. This means you will file the Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status, with the united states Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This kind is where your spouse officially applies for his or her green card.

If your partner is residing exterior the us or ineligible for adjustment of status, you’ll must go through consular processing. This involves making use of for an immigrant visa by way of the united states Department of State. Once approved, your spouse can proceed with the ultimate step.

Step 5: Attend the Interview and Submit Required Documents

Regardless of whether you choose adjustment of standing or consular processing, the next step is attending an interview. If you’re in the united states, the interview takes place at a USCIS subject office. If you’re abroad, it goes to be at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

During the interview, a USCIS officer or consular officer will ask questions on your relationship and request supporting paperwork. These paperwork may include medical examinations, police clearances, and monetary proof to reveal that you can assist your partner.

Step 6: Await the Decision

After the interview and submission of required documents, you will have to attend for a decision. The wait time can vary, but usually, you’ll have the ability to anticipate to pay attention to again inside a number of months.

If every thing goes properly, your partner shall be granted the marriage-based green card, allowing them to live and work legally in the U.S. Congratulations! It’s time to start out your new life collectively.

Additional Considerations

While we’ve covered the principle steps involved in marrying a non-U.S. citizen, it is essential to maintain a number of additional issues in thoughts:

  • Legal Assistance: The immigration course of can be advanced, so it might be useful to hunt authorized assistance from an immigration lawyer or reputable immigration service.
  • Affidavit of Support: As the sponsoring U.S. citizen, you’ll must submit an Affidavit of Support, proving that you can financially assist your partner. This ensures that your partner is not going to turn into a public charge.
  • Conditional Green Card: If your marriage is lower than two years outdated at the time your spouse is accredited for a green card, they may receive a conditional green card that’s legitimate for 2 years. After two years, you should apply for the removal of those circumstances and procure a permanent green card.


Marrying a non-U.S. citizen could require a couple of further steps, however don’t let that discourage you. With proper understanding and preparation, the process can be manageable. Remember to file the mandatory types, attend interviews, and supply the required documents. And most importantly, get pleasure from this thrilling chapter of your life collectively. Love knows no boundaries, and with patience and determination, you can construct a future with the one you’re eager on, regardless of their nationality. Happy marriage planning!


  1. What are the basic necessities for marrying a non-US citizen?
    To marry a non-US citizen, each events must meet the legal necessities for marriage in their respective country or state. Additionally, the non-US citizen may need a sound visa to enter the US legally. It’s essential to research and adjust to the precise marriage and immigration laws of your jurisdiction before proceeding.

  2. Can a non-US citizen get married in the United States?
    Yes, a non-US citizen can get married within the United States. However, it’s essential to make sure they’ve the suitable legal documentation to enter the country and observe the marriage laws of the specific state where the wedding will take place. Some states could have further necessities, so it’s important to examine with the local marriage licensing office for correct info.

  3. Do I want a fiancé(e) visa to marry a non-US citizen?
    If you plan to marry a non-US citizen contained in the United States, you typically don’t need a fiancé(e) visa. Instead, the non-US citizen can enter the country with a vacationer visa or under the visa waiver program if they are from an eligible country. However, as soon as married, it’s essential to start the process of adjusting their standing to become a lawful everlasting resident (Green Card holder) to make sure their authorized status in the US.

  4. What is the process to regulate the standing of a non-US citizen spouse?
    To adjust the status of a non-US citizen spouse, no matter the place the marriage takes place, the US citizen partner must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, on behalf of their non-US citizen partner. Once the petition is accredited, the non-US citizen spouse can apply for a Green Card by filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. This process requires offering proof of the bona fide nature of the marriage, financial information, medical examination results, and more.

  5. Can a non-US citizen spouse work within the United States whereas ready for his or her Green Card?
    Yes, a non-US citizen partner can apply for a piece permit, known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), while waiting for his or her Green Card. This requires filing Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, concurrently with the application to regulate status. Once the EAD is approved, the non-US citizen spouse can legally work within the United States till they obtain their Green Card or their EAD expires.